December 8, 2022 (White Plains, NY) – Mediabase released its year-end chart data for 2022 as Columbia takes the overall coveted top spot with RCA, Atlantic, Republic and Interscope rounding out the Top 5. Mediabase’s recent partnership with Luminate allows the leading company to serve more customers than it ever had in its history. Mediabase has also enriched its music data by monitoring hundreds of new stations across several formats. The complete rankings are available in the Mediabase year-end release here.
President and CEO of Mediabase Philippe Generali remarked on the year-end Mediabase charts: “The 2022 charts featured fresh new talent from artists such as GAYLE, Muni Long, Nicky Youre, BLXST, Latto, Maneskin, and others. The energy level has skyrocketed, and spin counts reflect radio embracing these efforts making artists household names. Columbia has worked very hard this year to obtain the #1 overall label share. The results from RCA at Rhythmic, Urban at R&B, Broken Bow moving from #3 to #1 at Country, Republic remaining #1 at AC, Concord holding the top spot at Active Rock, Warner returning to #1 after a decade at Alternative, Republic taking over the top spot at Triple AAA, Capital Christian Music Group holding strong at #1, Sony Music Latin grabbing top spots in Spanish Contemporary & Tropical, Regional Mexican being topped by Universal Music Latin Entertainment; all these efforts should not go unnoticed. Congratulations and we look forward to what hits the new year brings.”
Highlights from the Mediabase year-end report include:
- Columbia is the #1 label with a 15.3 share, up 31% from an 11.7 last year.
- Columbia succeeds Republic, who had held the top spot for an incredible eight consecutive years.
- Doja Cat, Ed Sheeran, Harry Styles, Justin Bieber and Lil Nas X are the top 5 most played artists.
- Columbia went 17.0-23.8 year-to-year (+40%) to nab the top spot.
- RCA moved 4th-2nd with a big 9.8 to 16.3 gain (+66%).
- Doja Cat, Harry Styles and Lil Nas lead the way.
- RCA had a huge year at Rhythmic, up 12.8-21.1 (+65%), and moves into the #1 slot.
- Republic, last year’s champ, is still a strong 2nd with a 15.9 share.
- RCA snagged the #1 Rhythm song of the year with Latto “Big Energy”.
- RCA takes the #1 slot at Urban, up 11.6 to 15.9 (+37%).
- Atlantic climbs from 5th-2nd and 9.8 to 11.8 (+20%).
- Republic’s Drake was the #1 most played artist.
- RCA scores a #1 finish at Rhythmic, Urban, and R&B. RCA defends their title at the R&B format, scoring over a 20 share again, finishing the year at 20.7.
- Atlantic remains at #2, and goes 15.6 to 16.3.
- Bruno Mars/A. Paak/Silk Sonic are the R&B artist of the year.
- Broken Bow jumps from 3rd in 2021 to land the top spot this year, moving from 7.5 to 9.6 (+27%).
- Capitol nabs the #2 slot, also with a 9.6 share, as Broken Bow won in points.
- The top 3 most played artists are Morgan Wallen, Jason Aldean, Luke Combs.
- Columbia takes over the top spot, surging 15.8 to 22.0 (+39%).
- Atlantic is up 80%, going 10.1 to 18.2, and moving 4th to 2nd.
- Atlantic’s Ed Sheeran was #1 in both Hot AC and Mainstream AC.
- Republic remains at #1 at AC with a 22.3 share.
- Columbia soars 14.9 to 20.7 (+39%) to nab the 2nd slot.
- Atlantic nearly doubles their share, taking the #3 spot with an 18.0, up from a 9.6 last year (+88%).
- Active Rock has been very competitive in 2022, with Concord narrowly beating out Better Noise.
- Both labels scored a 10.8 share, but Concord got the edge in total spins, as they finished as the top two Active Rock labels again this year.
- Most played artists are Papa Roach, Three Days Grace, Ghost.
- Warner is #1 at Alternative for the first time in nearly a decade. The label displayed a 12.7 share, up +202% from 4.2 last year.
- Last year’s champ Interscope had a strong showing, scoring the #2 spot with an 11.8 share.
- Most played artists are Imagine Dragons, Maneskin, Red Hot Chili Peppers.
- Republic takes over the top spot, moving up +14% with an 11.7 chart share.
- Columbia jumps 6.6 to 7.9 (+20%) and jumps from 6th-2nd.
- Atlantic moves 5th to 3rd and 7.5 to 7.7.
- Most played artists are Lumineers, Spoon, Nathaniel Rateliff & Night Sweats.
- Capitol Christian Music Group remains at #1 for another year, going 26.6 to 28.3.
- Provident Label Group ranked 2nd with a 15.6 share.
- Christian Song of the year is “Jesus Is Coming Back” from Centricity’s Jordan Feliz.
The 2022 chart year is based on the time period from November 7, 2021 through November 5, 2022. All spins are tallied for the full 52 weeks and then converted into percentages for the chart share. The final chart share includes all applicable label split-credit as submitted to Mediabase during the year. For artists, if a song had split-credit, each artist featured was given a percentage for the artist category that was assigned to the label share. Nine formats contribute to the overall number: Top 40, Rhythmic, Urban, R&B, Hot AC, AC, Active Rock, Alternative, and Triple A. Contact Mediabase to learn more.